Rockingham City FC 1 - 1 UWA Nedlands FC

Lloyd Prout scored for UWA in a hard fought draw with Rockingham

Lloyd Prout scored for UWA in a hard fought draw with Rockingham

A strong first half display from UWA wasn’t enough to close out the game, as Rockingham came from behind to share the spoils at Lark Hill.

Both sides were expecting an even encounter, but it was UWA who started the stronger of the two sides. Comfortable possession and crisp passing from UWA saw Conor Devlin deliver the first attempt on goal. The influential midfielder found himself in space on the edge of the box but he couldn’t keep his effort down as it soared over the crossbar.

Despite dominating possession in the middle of the park, UWA found it difficult to break down a compact Rockingham back four. Great passages of play from Andrew Xydas and Devlin were unrewarded as Alex Kretowicz and Geordie Papathanassiou couldn’t find enough space to damage Rockingham.

Against the run of play, Rockingham were given a golden opportunity to break the deadlock as Robbie Black brought down the Rockingham winger inside the box. Ryan Kennedy stepped up to take the spot kick but UWA shot stopper Ranjeet Singh was equal to the task and kept the scores level with a fantastic save.

UWA went close to scoring on several occasions with chances falling to Black and Kretowicz. The deadlock was finally broken just before halftime, a crafty touch from Kretowicz played Lloyd Prout into space and he made no mistake on the finish, poking it past Rockingham keeper Cyril Sharrock to send UWA into the break with a 1-0 lead.

The second half saw the game tipped on its head. Rockingham came out firing and UWA found it difficult to stamp their authority back on the game.

Neither side was able to break free on goal for the opening 15 minutes; however, on the hour mark Alex Grayson levelled the score for Rockingham. A long ball from Sharrock wasn’t dealt with properly by Marocchi and Vlasich, which allowed Grayson to bring the ball down and riffle it past Singh from a difficult position.

With the scores level and both sides wanting to leave with a win, the game begun to open up. Both sides had chances to steal all three points but Rockingham had the better of them and UWA had Singh to thank for keeping Rockingham at bay. Rockingham skipper Sean Brady had the pick of the chances, twice breaking free from his marker at set pieces; however, Singh was equal to the task and denied Brady on both occasions.

Despite being on the back foot for most of the second half, UWA still had a chance to steal it at the death. Kretowicz was played forward by Black and broke free from his defender only to have his effort blocked by Sharrock.

The result sees UWA collect their first point of the season and move up to 9th on the table while Rockingham City slip down to 5th.

UWA will face Western Knights in the league next weekend in the battle for the western suburbs; additionally, Janssen’s men will face Floreat Athena in the next round of the FFA Cup on ANZAC Day.


Rockingham City FC – 1 (Grayson)
UWA Nedlands FC – 1 (Prout)

In other results, UWA’s reserves side continued their unbeaten start to the season by making light work of Rockingham in a 3-0 victory. Sam Holden scored a brace and Matthew Shelton chipped in with the other. The reserves sit in fourth spot and entertain last placed Western Knights this weekend. The U18’s were up against a fierce Rockingham side and were comfortably beaten 10-0.