Canning City SC 1 - 0 UWA Nedlands FC

Josh Marocchi scans the field - Photo courtesy of Chris Beech

Josh Marocchi scans the field - Photo courtesy of Chris Beech

Despite having all the possession and chances, UWA were unable to overcome a stern Canning City SC defence and missed a golden opportunity to move into the top four of the All Flags State League Division One.

The game started evenly with neither side able to seize control of the game. Conor Devlin was looking lively for UWA, dominating the midfield and dictating play going forward. At the other end, Canning forward Callum Roberts was always a threat and on the ten-minute mark he almost caught UWA napping as his pace allowed him to get in behind the UWA defence. Fortunately Joshua Marocchi was quick to recover and avert any danger.

UWA started to impose their play style on the game and were able to pressure the Canning goal. Michael Vlasich had a great opportunity from a free kick as did Devlin from outside the area; however, both efforts were well saved by the Canning keeper.

Roberts was continuing to look dangerous up front for Canning with his blistering pace, but the forward was often left isolated up front and the combined efforts of Marc Zagami and Marocchi were able to stop him in his tracks.

Alex Kretowicz thought he had given UWA the lead of the half hour mark with a blistering shot from outside the box, but the Canning keeper made an excellent top corner save to keep scores level.

UWA continued to pressure the Canning goal right up until half time, with Andrew Xydas, Marco Tmraw-Yarrum and Lloyd Prout all having close attempts. However, neither one was able to penetrate the stern defence of Canning and both sides went into the break scoreless.

UWA picked the game up right where they left off and had their first chance only minutes into the second half. Kretowicz broke free and played an acute ball through for Prout, but the midfielder was unable to get a touch on it and the Canning keeper mopped up.

The major talking point of the game came in the 55th minute when a potential penalty shout for UWA was dismissed by the referee. Canning then broke forward and Devlin’s marginally late challenge on the halfway line was enough to earn him his second yellow and thus given his marching orders by the referee.

Being a man down didn’t stop UWA from dominating the game with a plethora of chances being misplaced. UWA should’ve had a penalty in the 70th minute when a clear shirt pull on Kretowicz somehow escaped the eye of the officials.

Although nothing was going their way, UWA were persistent to find a break through, but found themselves squandering various opportunities. Kretowicz smashed an effort wide from 20 yards on 70 minutes. Less than a minute later Prout fired a volley wide after Bryce Conway weaved through the Canning defence and drilled a powerful low cross to the midfielder.

Michael Vlasich had the whole crowd thinking he had found the break through when his well placed free kick got up and over the wall; however, yet again the Canning goalkeeper was on his toes to produce a fine save to his left.

Canning was finally able to produce a shot on goal and unfortunately it would prove costly for UWA. Centre back Vlasich was caught in possession by Charlie Parry and the Canning forward carried the ball deep before finishing from a tight angle past Alex Preece to give Canning a 1-0 lead.

Canning had a chance to make it 2-0 moments later when Callum Roberts found himself in on goal. However, the forward scuffed his shot wide and the score stayed as it was.

Kretowicz had two excellent opportunities to pinch a point for UWA late into stoppage time. The first came from an outside of the box volley, but yet again the forward was denied by the Canning goalkeeper. Moments later Kretowicz found himself on a tight angle and attempted to squeeze a shot past the Canning keeper; however, his shot was fired into the side netting.

Despite the loss, UWA remain in the top half of the ladder but face tough matches against Joondalup United and Ashfield in the coming weeks. Meanwhile, the win sees Canning surge up the ladder into 7th place.


Canning City SC – 1 (Parry)
UWA Nedlands FC – 0

Dismissals - Devlin (55)

The Reserves continued their brilliant form with an outstanding 5-0 victory. Striker Kamando Sikazwe was in inspired form, scoring all five of UWA’s goals. The forward headed his first home courtesy of a Brandon Naude cross, before putting on a finishing master class in the second half. Sikazwe rounded the keeper three times from one on ones and calmly finished the other from inside the box. Sikazwe takes his tally to 13 league goals this season and will be pushing for selection in Janssen’s first team next weekend. Meanwhile, a depleted 18s outfit put up a valiant effort but were eventually overpowered by a strong Canning side, going down 3-0.