UWA Nedlands FC 2 - 6 Joondalup United FC

Kretowicz fires an effort on goal - Photo courtesy of Gabriele Malaga

Kretowicz fires an effort on goal - Photo courtesy of Gabriele Malaga

A rampant Joondalup United FC were able to hit back from last weeks slip up against Mandurah City as they grinded out UWA Nedlands FC 6-2 at UWA Sports Park.

Thing started poorly for UWA with Joondalup scoring within the first five minutes courtesy of a free kick. The delivery was played into a dangerous area and Guy McDonald’s run wasn’t picked up by the UWA defence to leave Preece with no chance.

UWA were under heavy pressure from a physical Joondalup outfit and things got worse when Joondalup doubled their lead through Lee Jones on the 10 minute mark. Jones was sent through one-on-one and finished clinically to make it 2-0.

Bryce Conway was able to relieve UWA of Joondalup’s rampant pressure, but that was as far as UWA progressed up the field with Jacob Shore’s defensive presence for Joondalup proving too dominant..

Jones nearly had his second after he created space for himself on his left foot, but fluffed his lines.

Joondalup quickly made amends for Jones’ miss as they scored their third after 35 minutes of play. A great corner was met by the head of Ross Edwards to put them 3-0 up.

UWA should’ve had a penalty just before halftime when Alex Kretowicz was brought down by the Joondalup centre back; however, the referee waved play on and Joondalup went into the break with a three goal lead.

UWA started the second half with better ball movement and intensity but it was subdued by a fortunate goal for Lee Jones. A corner was well defended by UWA but the follow up low cross by Jones found its way through a crowd of players and past Preece.

UWA finally begun to surge forward and had opportunities thanks to great balls into the box from Mordecai Appiah and Kretowicz. The latter providing a great chance to Lloyd Prout, but the midfielder couldn’t keep his effort down and it sailed over the crossbar.

A string of fantastic saves by UWA shot-stopper Alex Preece kept the scoreline as it was. In the 55th minute he denied a stern header from a corner. Moments later Preece denied Jones from a one-on-one and the resulting follow up was put over the bar.

On the hour mark UWA had a great opportunity to reduce the gap. Kretowicz cut inside onto his left foot and struck an effort on goal, his effort was blocked well by the Joondalup centre half but the second ball fell to Prout; however the midfielder couldn’t steer his header on target.

UWA were mounting pressure on the Joondalup goal and moments later Andrew Xydas had a great opportunity to score from a one-on-one. The midfielder was sent through by Kretowicz but Joondalup keeper James Bosdet made himself large to deny Xydas.

Joondalup weren’t happy with the chances UWA were creating and looked to re-assert their dominance. A flurry of half chances fell to Joondalup around the box but they couldn’t force Preece into a save.

The introduction of Simon Baah changed fortunes for UWA. The forward almost found himself on the scoresheet when Prout’s cross came his way, but he couldn’t readjust in time and Bodset was able to mop up.

Five minutes from time stand in UWA captain Marc Zagami was sent off for a second bookable offence. Consequently, Zagami will miss next weekends trip to Ashfield.

Two minutes from time UWA finally got on the scoresheet. Baah found himself in space and put a great ball into the box for Kretowicz to tap home.

Moments later UWA added another. Baah yet again with the assist, putting another fantastic cross into the box for Prout to tap home from close range and make it 4-2.

The game still proved to have goals left in it with Joondalup scoring an additional two in added time. Callum Stocks curled a great effort home from the edge of the box; while Jacob Shore got himself on the scoresheet from a corner.

Alex Preece made a string of fine saves in the closing stages to keep the score at 6-2.

Joondalup stay hot on the heels of Mandurah City at the top of the All Flags State League Division One ladder, whilst UWA drop outside of the top half for the first time in a month.


UWA Nedlands FC – 2 (Kretowicz, Prout)
Joondalup United FC – 6 (Jones 2, Shore, Stocks, McDonald, Edwards)

Dismissals - Zagami (85)

It was an unfortunate day all round for UWA (results wise) with the Reserves falling 2-0 to a top of the ladder Joondalup side. The 18s also fell 4-1.

Thank-you to Chris Beech who assisted with this weekends match report.