UWA Nedlands FC 3 - 1 Shamrock Rovers FC

Robbie Black fires a cross into the box - Photo Courtesy of Gabriele Maluga

Robbie Black fires a cross into the box - Photo Courtesy of Gabriele Maluga

A strong opening and close to the game has given UWA Nedlands FC a comfortable win over Shamrock Rovers FC in their All Flags State League Division One encounter at UWA Sports Park.

Rovers were caught sleeping from the first whistle as UWA made it 1-0 within the opening minute. An intelligent through ball from Mordecai Appiah was played into the path of Alex Kretowicz and the forward calmly slotted it past the oncoming keeper to give the home side the lead.

UWA continued to apply pressure to the Rovers back four and the visitors were struggling to create anything going forward. UWA came within inches of doubling their lead when Michael Vlasich’s vicious shot from distance was goalbound; however, Rovers’ goalkeeper produced a fantastic save to deny the centre back.

Rovers were starting to find their feet and had a handful of chances, proving especially dangerous from set pieces. At the other end, the excellent feet and vision of Conor Devlin was proving too much for Rovers to handle and UWA could’ve found themselves further in front when Devlin picked out the run of fullback Tristan Taylor on multiple occasions; however, yet again the Rovers keeper was quick off his line to clear the danger.

On the half hour mark Rovers found themselves on level terms from a fortunate opportunity. A corner was initially well cleared by Josh Marocchi but it only went as far as the Rovers midfielder who’s shot into the crowded box was deflected to the feet of Rover’s striker Nathan Hibbert who made no mistake from close range.

The rest of the half proved uneventful with strong winds making it difficult for either side to produce any clear opportunities.

UWA started the second half in similar fashion to the first and found themselves back in front after 5 minutes. Fantastic build up down the right hand side from Devlin and Kretowicz put Andrew Xydas clear on goal and the midfielder finished clinically to put UWA 2-1 up.

UWA had chances to go further in front, with the best falling to Marc Zagami. The midfielder did well initially to control a tough ball on the edge of the box, but snatched at his shot and missed the target.

Rovers remained dangerous on the break and UWA had goalkeeper Alex Preece to thank for keeping them ahead as the shot stopper was called into action several times. However, Rovers lost any chance of a late equaliser when their centre back was sent off with 10 minutes remaining after bringing down Kretowicz on the edge of the box.

The resultant free kick was struck into the wall by Michael Vlasich but it wasn’t to matter as UWA found their third goal of the afternoon in the final minute. Zagami picked the ball up inside his own half and played a brilliant one-two with Kretowicz to send himself clear on goal before holding his nerve to calmly pick out the bottom corner and seal the deal for UWA.


UWA Nedlands FC – 3 (Kretowicz, Xydas, Zagami)
Shamrock Rovers FC – 1 (Hibbert)

It was a perfect day for UWA as both the Reserves and 18s both picked up wins. Viny Kapur’s 18s dominated from start to finish and came out 5-2 victors thanks to a Jack Valentine hat trick. Whilst the Reserves cruised to a 4-1 win thanks to a Kamando Sikazwe brace.