Dianella White Eagles SC 1 - 3 UWA Nedlands FC

Alex Kretowicz scores the opener for UWA from close range - Photo Courtesy of Gabriele Maluga

Alex Kretowicz scores the opener for UWA from close range - Photo Courtesy of Gabriele Maluga

Dianella came into the encounter needing a win to climb out of the relegation zone, whilst UWA were looking to put last week’s miserable performance behind them.

UWA almost started in the best possible fashion when Andrew Xydas found space 25 yards out from goal in the opening minutes. The midfielder put his laces through it and forced Dianella goalkeeper Yosri Gharsallah into a sublime top corner.

Dianella begun to gain momentum and were a constant threat up front through the pace of Mwansa Musonda and Joshua Tumoe. UWA had goalkeeper Ranjeet Sekhon to thank for keeping scores level as he produced a few fine saves to deny Tumoe.

Tumoe was lucky to not be sent off shortly afterwards when he lashed out at Tristan Taylor after a stern challenge; however, he escaped with just a caution.

UWA reacted strongly and found the lead on the half hour mark. Strong work in the midfield from Marc Zagami gave Alex Kretowicz a sniff on goal, and that’s all the striker needed to outmuscle Dianella’s centre back’s and poke the ball goal-ward from close range to give UWA a 1-0 lead.

Dianella pushed to equalise before the break but were met by strong resistance in the form of Joshua Marocchi and Marco Warmt-Murray, who ensured UWA headed into half time with the advantage.

Dianella came out revitalised in the second period and were unlucky not to find themselves on level terms when Joshua Tumoe’s shot from the edge of the area was fired at goal; however, Sekhon was equal to the task and produced a fine save low to his right to keep UWA in the lead.

Despite the best efforts of the UWA defence, led by the experienced Marocchi, Dianella were able to strike level on the hour mark. Danger man Tumoe gathered the ball on the left wing and waltzed his way through four defenders before cutting in and firing his shot past Sekhon to make it 1-1.

After being off the pace for much of the second half, UWA coach Michael Janssen looked to Lloyd Prout and Geordie Papathanassiou to make the difference, and their introduction into the game had an instant impact with UWA finding their feet and beginning to surge forward.

It wasn’t long before the boys in green got themselves back in front and it was through a familiar source. Kretowicz was yet again the quickest to react to a dangerous ball into the box from super su      b Lloyd Prout. Kretowicz was able to find himself enough space to pull the trigger and left Gharsallah with no chance as his effort found the bottom corner.

UWA made sure of the result with ten minutes to go. A break down the left wing from Mordecai Appiah resulted in a dangerous ball into the box, where, substitute Geordie Papathanassiou superbly brought the ball down and found enough space to smash the ball into the roof of the netting from the edge of the area and seal the 3 points for UWA.

Dianella White Eagles SC – 1 (Tumoue)
UWA Nedlands FC – 3 (Kretowicz 2, Papathanassiou)

Unfortunately Clive Stopper's Reserves were unable to collect the 3 points as they went down 3-2 to a physical Dianella outfit. Sam Holden put UWA ahead in the first half through fortunate circumstances; however, Dianella rallied to go 2-1 up. Matt Wood drew level for UWA but Dianella were able to steal the victory in the closing stages. The U18's fixture was cancelled.