State League Div1. UWANFC 1sts vs Olympic Kingsway, 20 April 2019

After a great start to the season with two wins and a loss seeing UWA sit 2nd on the league table, the Uni boys looked to bounce back from last weekend’s defeat to Mandurah as they hosted Olympic Kingsway in their first home game of the season.

A high-pressing early start from UWA set the pace for the rest of the game with a constant physical battle throughout the 90 minutes. The end-to-end affair saw the game finish in a dramatic draw as Kingsway scored late on into added time.

An emphatic opening period, which saw both sides create chances, the deadlock was finally broken in the 30th minute as Conor Devlin scored a wonder goal, chipping the Kingsway goalkeeper from about 25 yards into the right-hand side of the goal.  

With added pressure from the Uni boys forcing mistakes on the Kingsway defence, cracks started to appear. Kingsway started to bounce back well creating some attacking chances of their own late on in the first half, however on the stroke of half time a close-range strike from Alex Kretowicz saw UWA lead 2-0 at half time.

A similar start to the first half saw UWA create more chances at the start of the second which was absorbed well by the well-structured Kingsway defence and wasn’t long before they started creating their own chances. After making a couple of substitutions, Kingsway started coming into the game.

The physical battle continued in the second half with hard tackles flying in from both teams. Eventually Kingsway were rewarded for their pressure midway through the second half as their substitute strikes into the near post of the UWA goal. An enthralling, fast-paced end to the game was now approaching.

The UWA defence being tested further as a flood of attacks came from Kingsway who were pressing hard for that all important equaliser. After a solid performance for the majority of the game the constant attacks were proving difficult for the Uni Boys as Kingsway were awarded with a penalty late on into the game after a late challenge on the edge of the box.

A brilliant save from Luke Stonebridge kept the one goal advantage in tact and a solid performance from the centre back partnership of Tristan Taylor and Sam Carrello ensured the lead wasn’t lost in the 90 but a deflected shot from the Kingsway midfielder deep into stoppage time saw Olympic Kingsway snatch a draw with the last kick of the game.

The result means that UWA will stay 2nd as they face Ashfield this upcoming weekend in a top of the table clash which could see them move first, level on points with the current leaders. A great effort from the reserves sees them narrowly lose 2:1 in a tight affair whilst the 18s continue their winning form defeating their opponents 4:1 and sitting at the top of the table.