Quinns FC 3 – 3 UWA Nedlands FC

UWA were unable to finish off a compact Quinns outfit, and their missed opportunities would come back to haunt them as Quinns came from behind twice to share the spills in an entertaining 3-3 draw.

UWA found their rhythm early on in the game and only five minutes had passed before they translated their dominance to the scoreboard. Federico was allowed far too much time on the left hand flank and was able to pick out Lloyd Prout in the box. The midfielder made no mistake with his left foot, driving it into the bottom corner.

The first half continued to go the way of UWA, with Quinns failing to test the goal of Ranjeet Singh. After the quarter hour mark, UWA found themselves 2-0 up after Alex Kretowicz was played into space on the right. The crafty forward was able to use his pace to burn the defence, before unselfishly giving Andrew Xydas the easiest of finishes to increase UWA’s lead to 2-0.

UWA continued to dominate the half, and were unlucky not to go 3-0 on multiple occasions. Tristan Taylor’s ‘cross turn shot’ wrong-footed the keeper from distance, and had to be tipped over the bar to safety. Furthermore, before the break Alex Kretowicz was awarded a penalty after being brought down in the box. Unfortunately, the keeper guessed right and the score stayed 2-0 heading into the break.

Quinns came out stronger in the second half; this in conjunction with careless possession from UWA saw them able to reduce the gap. The UWA defence were slow in closing down a Quinns midfielder on the edge of the box, who consequently drove the ball into the bottom corner.

Things got worse for UWA as Quinns brought scores level shortly afterwards. Andrew Xydas’ back pass to Ranjeet Singh was cut out by the Quinns striker, who made no mistake sliding it past the UWA shot-stopper.

Michael Janssen sensed a shift in momentum and introduced Clive Stopper, hoping his experience could settle the tempo. The pressure on the Quinns goal was increasing and it wasn’t long until Alex Kretowicz was able to find space for Robbie Black on the left hand side, who rifled the ball into the back of the net to regain the lead for UWA.

The closing stages of the game saw UWA test the Quinns goal frequently, in an attempt to put the final nail in the coffin. However, a few missed opportunities allowed Quinns to once again get back into the game. Good build-up allowed them to stretch the UWA defence and when Clive Stopper came across covering, he was wrong footed by the Quinns right-winger, and brought him down in the box. Quinns made no mistake from the spot and levelled the scores, again, at 3-3.

Despite the best efforts of UWA, they were denied time and time again in the last 15 by a fantastic Quinns goalkeeper. Efforts by Conor Devlin, Lloyd Prout and Alex Kretowicz came close; however, the game would finish at 3-3.

UWA coach Michael Janssen wasn’t content with the performance, but believes the team will bounce back in time for their decisive clash with Joondalup United next week. “Unfortunately we weren’t able to play the football we are focusing on,” Janssen explained. “Dropping our match plan brought Quinns back into the game. Even having a lot of opportunities to decide the match right to the end did not work out tonight. We will look forward and learn from this to be much stronger next week.”

UWA will face Joondalup United in a decisive top of the table clash for Group A. The game will be played at 8:30pm Friday night at the Kingsway Regional Sporting Complex, with the winner going through to the knockout stages.

Quinns FC – 3
UWA Nedlands FC – 3 (Prout, Xydas, Black)