State League Div1. Olympic Kingsway vs UWANFC, 13 July 2019

Despite a spirited performance, Uni fell to a 4-1 defeat at the hands of a rampant Olympic Kingsway in Round 15 of the State League.

Both teams looked for that early decisive goal with a high press coming from both attacking sides. However, it was UWAN who had the first chance of the game with an early ball whipped in from the wing that was scrambled clear by a Kingsway defender.

The positive start continued with great link-up play coming from Lloyd Prout, Sam Guthridge and Riaz Kelly on the right wing, yet both teams were still looking for that early goal.

For the first 15 minutes of the game it was definitely the Uni Boys who started better, with chances coming from both Alex Kretowicz and Ivwa Simbile, but failing to convert.

In the 26th minute, the deadlock was finally broken as the Kingsway striker turned the UWAN defence with his first touch and slotted it past Luke Stonebridge in goal, making it 1-0 to the hosts with more than half the game to play.

The boys looked for a quick response as the ball was played over the top to Kretowicz. However, his chip narrowly missed the crossbar and the score stayed the same.

UWANā€™s troubles went from bad to worse as an unchallenged ball into the box was headed home by the Kingsway defender, putting the opponents 2-0 up just before half time. 

Kingsway increased their lead 5 minutes into the second half after a volley from their attacker found the back of the UWAN net, making it 3-0 to the hosts and looking like a long way back for the Uni Boys 

In the 76th minute, Uni managed to grab one back with a headed goal driven home by Trev after a cross from the right. However, it seemed to be nothing more than a consolation goal as Kingsway made the 4-1 in the 84th minute.

The full-time whistle blew with UWAN missing out on yet another three points. The Boys in Green are looking to bounce back in a couple of weeks as they host Ashfield at UWA Sports Park in the next round of the State League.

The Reserves managed an emphatic 1-0 win whilst the U 18s maintained their winning form, beating their opponents 2-0 and staying six points clear at the top of the league.

Match report courtesy of Cameron Holley and Karl Maluga.